Sunday, December 28, 2014

Second week of Recovery

Well the doctor told me no traveling for 6 weeks after surgery but I had already booked a flight from Minneapolis to Naples, FL to visit my dad for Christmas.  He told me the risks and that it would swell up a lot and be pretty painful.  He was right, it didn't feel good at all.  But I did get some perks.  I flew Sun Country and reserved a wheelchair because even though by now I can walk on the boot (still non weight bearing) and use crutches, it is exhausting and slow and hard to carry anything.  I got to skip the line to check in, go to the front for security, got moved to a bulkhead aisle seat, and was the first to board the plane.  I felt really silly in the wheelchair but knew I needed it to rest my foot.

It has been nice recovering down in Florida, but I'm not allowed to get the incision wet, so no pool or beach.  I was/am pretty bummed I wouldn't get to enjoy the pool or go to the beach but I don't want to mess up my recovery.  My foot feels a lot better this week, but my big toe and pointer toe are still weird to the touch and tingly.  My foot is sore in many places on top and I'm not sure why.  I have gotten a few pressure sores from the bandage and how tight it was and the rubbing, etc.  I can't wait till the post op appointment to get my stitches out and get new bandages. 

I'm still icing my foot as much as I can because my foot is still swollen and I've been upright a lot more this week.  The first 3 days I used the crutches a lot more and the rest of the week I really just hobbled around on my boot.  I have a really hard time moving my big toe.  It is bandaged up pretty good with guaze on the back and the ace bandage I think to keep it more stable but I try to move my big toe and it is so so hard to move even a little bit.  I spent a night crying because I was convinced it wasn't moving at all and the surgeon hit the nerve and my toe would never move again.  I know, over reaction, but this is scary to me.  I am able to move my toe, but it takes lots of concentration and it is very little, sometimes it makes my foot hurt where the incision is.  The doctor said the big toe joint after surgery would be really stiff and he is right.  I'm just worried that when I fell a week post surgery on the steps outside my apartment that I messed it up.  I think my big toe got caught and bent backwards and the joint has been really sore since.  I am anxious to see my doctor in a few days to see where I am at recovery wise and ask my 8 thousand questions. 
I can't go in the pool but still enjoyed the sunshine and heat in Florida

The top of my food has some pressure sores from the bandages, downside to not being able to change em for two weeks. Only two days left until I get to see what the incision looks like, how many stitches there were and get new bandages. 

No comments:

Post a Comment