Thursday, December 25, 2014

Day of surgery (Pre & Post-op)

I forgot to add that I'm an Elementary Physical Education Teacher and I'm on my feet moving and shaking all day (best job ever).  So that factored into my decision because the pain was now effecting my job and I was having pain at work even though I was wearing my $550 orthotics. 

I went to work for 3 hours before my mom picked me up to go to the surgery center.  I was numb all day.  I had to be there 90 minutes early for pre-op and the whole time I wanted to get up and jump out the window.  They put the IV in my hand and that hurt and was really unpleasant up until I went into surgery.  I met with the anesthesiologist next and he talked about how they were going to give me a nerve block and I wouldn't be able to feel my foot after surgery and for probably up to 24 hours later.  I saw the needles and fluid and asked for my mom to come in early and be there with me for the shots (I HATE shots).  My mom is an RN and knew what they were doing and who doesn't want there mom there for their first major surgery?  The shots were unpleasant but I was given some meds through the IV.  They were going to put me under sedation as well.  I got to see my doctor once more before the surgery but I was already freaking out so much inside.  I knew it was the right thing to do but it's a hard decision because I could live without having it.  I cried going into the OR but then I was out and woke up as they rolled me into post-op.  I skipped phase 1 recovery (still not sure what that was, something with how I woke up so fast after surgery).  My foot was pretty painful after surgery and they gave me another nerve block but I still was in a lot of pain, so it actually took 4 nerve blocks to get me completely numb and without pain.  My post-op didn't go as well as planned, I get nauseous from the pain meds so it took almost 2 hours before they could discharge me.  I almost had to be admitted because my blood pressure was dropping so much, but luckily I was able to go home with my mom.

That first night I slept alright, I wasn't in pain but it was weird that I couldn't feel my ankle or foot and using crutches while being under pain meds was difficult.  But it wasn't horrible that first night. 
Here are X-rays of my foot before and after surgery! 

No comments:

Post a Comment