Sunday, December 28, 2014

First few days of recovery

Day 1
The day after surgery I was still numb from the ankle down and it felt weird, it was still hard to get around on crutches and keeping my foot off the ground.  After 4pm the nerve block started to wear off and I've never been in such pain before. 

Day 2
I hardly slept the second night post surgery because I was in such pain.  My mom felt so bad there wasn't anything she could do to help me.  I called the doctor today to tell them how much pain I was in and they told me to take another oxy until the pain got better.  It was the worst pain ever and the pain meds made me nauseous, I couldn't read, watch movies, or crochet.  All I could do really was try to sleep.  The pain meds made my vision blurry and made me dizzy but I couldn't handle the pain.

Day 3
Still really bad pain this morning but by the afternoon the pain was getting a little better.  A friend came over to watch movies and I ended up just napping because the tv was blurry to me.  I went to get my hair cut that night and there was stop and go traffic which sadly made me throw up.  It was not a pleasant day.  I also had my first shower this day.  I bought a waterproof foot cover that I highly recommend.  It is called drypro.  It sucks all the air out of the boot.  I've used it many times now and haven't gotten my foot wet.  I have read about other people's surgeries and how they were able to change their dressing daily and clean out the incision.  My doctor told me I couldn't touch the dressing or look at it until my two week post op appointment.  I see pros and cons to both but I am following my doctors orders (even though it is really hard to not take a peak). 

Day 4
Finally a little light at the end of the tunnel.  I didn't have to take as many pain meds today and wasn't feel as dizzy and out of it.  I had a surprise birthday party for a friend that night and it was really nice to see my friends even though I felt out of it.  I've been icing my foot at least 3 times a day and it actually feels really good when I ice it.  The surgery center gave me a wrap that I can put an ice pack in, they gave me two ice packs for it as well. 


No comments:

Post a Comment