Thursday, December 25, 2014

Backstory and deciding to have surgery

I'm starting this blog late (always a procrastinator) but thought I would share my experience of having a fibular sesamoidectomy on my right foot.

Backstory:
January 1, 2014 - I decided this was the year I get my life back in order and finally drop all that extra weight.  I started out with eating better, counting calories and doing the elliptical, after I started some weight I started to run again in March.  By May I was addicted again (I ran cross country for 10 years from 1994-2004 and ran a lot until about 2007) and was running 5k after 5k.  In June I decided to sign up for the Chicago Half Marathon as a new challenge.  In July I started to have pain in my right foot when I was running, it was annoying and irritating but I kept on running.  My longer runs got longer and the pain got worse and lasted longer.  Soon it hurt every step I took.  In August I went in to see an orthopedic doctor and they did x-rays and ordered me to have an MRI.  They told me I had sesamoiditis and gave me a prescription to get orthotics for my feet.  I got them, they helped but they felt weird so didn't run in them.  I did the Half Marathon in pain but my adrenaline helped a lot.  I went back in and was given a cortisone shot and took 3 weeks off running, I started running again and the pain came right back (it didn't work :-/ )  My doctor said I could stop running forever, run in pain and maybe get injured more, or have the bone removed.  I went in for a second opinion and was told them same thing.  I liked this doctor more and decided to schedule surgery with him, he was an MD and the other doctor was a podiatrist. 

Ever since I went to the doctor the first time I have been freaking out at the word "surgery" and have gone back and forth so many times on whether to do it or not.  I love running, it is my favorite thing to do and I was/am terrified I might never run pain free again.  What if the surgery doesn't work?  What if they hit the nerve and I lose feeling in my foot?  What if my toe curls out funny?  What if I still run with pain or worse more pain? What if I never can run again?  You can see where I am going?  So even until the last minute I wanted to back out. 
August & October X-rays of my foot

No comments:

Post a Comment